Fight mold growth at home with these 4 tips

Mold and mildew are some of the most annoying pests that you can get at home. Not only are they sneaky threats, but they can also turn into a major health hazard for you and your loved ones if you don’t do something to fight it in time. Luckily, just as common as mold itself are the solutions you can implement in a timely manner before it turns into a bigger problem that only professionals will be able to handle. Here we will go into more detail about 4 of these solutions you can use yourself to prevent further harm to your family.

Ensure space ventilation somehow

By any means necessary, make sure that the space where mold is growing has sufficient ventilation. Proper airflow in humid areas will prevent growth or expansion of any mildew or mold traces that are beginning to take hold of the surface. If the room has windows, then the best course of action is to keep them open during the day and in general as much as possible. On the other hand, a fan should do if the space is more reduced and has no natural airways.

Use air purifiers or dehumidifiers

Much like with ventilation, we often underestimate the importance of the air we breathe. People who live in the city will notice it the most when they go out to the countryside or take a hike to clear their lungs. Your home is no different, and air is the main vehicle of spores and particles that can also cause mold growth. A dehumidifier can help you with rooms with excess moisture, but an air purifier can straight wipe out the threat of potential mold coming into your house. Check reviews of air purifiers for mold before purchase though, because some units can also work as dehumidifiers.

Clear the room and treat with vinegar/bleach

If you already have mold and it doesn’t seem to go away, don’t panic. There are still a couple of tricks you can pull to sort your way out of a moldy room. First of all, you need to clear the room of all furniture and objects that stand between you and the affected surface. Next, you need to treat the wall or moldy area with vinegar or a chlorine solution. Drench a cloth in the mix and apply it to the whole area. Finally, let it sit for a while, clean with a damp cloth and dry the surface completely. If you can combine the two previous tips with these one, you should have no more mold.

Call a professional to handle it

When things get out of control, don’t panic either. Mold that won’t go away just needs a harder treatment than regular mold, and it is usually a sign that you need a professional to handle it for you. There is no shame in asking for help, particularly when that help can make the difference to avoid having a severely deteriorated area, potential respiratory diseases, and other undesired things you definitely don’t want in your home.

Leave a Reply